How to Write a Process Essay?
Process essay writing can be a real challenge for students and fresh writers. This is because it requires good writing skills, experience, and knowledge about the process of writing an essay.
If you have to write a process essay, then you have to understand its requirements before we move on.
In a process essay, you don’t have much margin for wordiness. You have to briefly talk about the procedure to solve a certain problem.
Process essays are also commonly known as “how-to essays.” As a writer, you need to know how the process actually works in order to write about it.
What is a Process Essay? Guidance for Beginners
Process essays are the types of essays that are written for people who are looking for a set of instructions to complete a certain task.
A complete procedure is explained in these kinds of essays in the form of steps and directions
for the reader. Process essays can be on simple topics like on how to clean a window and can also be on complex subjects like on how to do a chemical experiment.
In simple words, the main goal of a process essay is to provide guidance to a reader for completing certain tasks. These essays must be direct and full of useful information.
The essay needs to convey to your readers the procedure of achieving a goal in detail.
You need to explain how the procedure is carried out in brief steps, and you also have to explain how certain things operate in the process.
How Should a Process Essay Begin?
Process essay writing experts suggest that this kind of content should be written step by step.
1. First, most of the procedures must be described briefly in the introductory passage. Important context and pertinent details must be mentioned in the starting passage.
This is important to engage the reader with the rest of the body.
2. You have to create a list of all the tools, equipment, and material that is required in the process. This list or passage should be added next to the introduction.
3. Next, you have to start describing the process/steps that would involve solving the problem or completing the procedure.
4. In the end, you have to write a brief conclusion for the essay.
Three Important Tips for Effective Process Essay Writing
It is important that you collect all important tips and suggestions about writing a process essay from experts so there is minimal room for errors.
- You need to present only essential steps in the process essay. The process should be crispy and understandable. Dragging unnecessary points would only result in the disengagement of the reader.
- The steps that you find most important to complete the process must be explained in depth. The reader should understand how to complete a step for the very first time.
- The most important tip that you need to keep in mind is that the procedure should always be explained in a logical order. Chronological order is the one that is usually used for listing the steps. This means that you need to mention steps in the order they are to be completed to reach the end result.
Stages to Write a Great Process Essay for Beginners
When you are writing a process essay for the first time, you need to consider it as a recipe.
Process essays are much like recipes because they provide instructions and steps to the reader to complete a certain task with
guaranteed success in the end. Here we would suggest new writers only write on how-to-essays on topics with which they are most familiar.
The tasks with which you are familiar can easily be explained in a friendly way. Writing about the procedure to complete tasks that you are not familiar with would be a bit difficult.
1. Start Your Work by Brainstorming
When writing a process essay, the most important stage is research or brainstorming.
Before writing, you need to think hard about all the possible things required and the steps involved in the task. You have to empty your thoughts on paper.
During brainstorming, you don’t have to worry about organizing the steps; rather, you just have to empty your head.
Once you have completed the ideation process, you need to take off your thinking hat and start arranging the points and steps in chronological order. If you are not given a certain topic, then you should probably write about the
tasks which you are familiar with. In case you are given a certain process topic, then the best way is to search the web and find informative blogs. You can also watch DIY YouTube videos and collect important information needed
to complete the task.
2. Create A Formal Outline for The Essay
Different essay types have different format requirements. If you are not familiar with the structure of the process essay, then you need to consult your teacher or an expert.
Usually, a process essay includes multiple steps. So the right format would be:
- First is an introduction paragraph in which readers get information about the task and difficulties that one might face in completing it.In the introduction passage, you have to tell the reader that you have a procedure which could help them.
- Next is the main essay body. In the essay body, you need to add multiple steps with proper headings and subheadings (if required). You can also add numbers to the steps so that there is no ambiguity about the order in which the task needs to be completed. The main body would include details from the first to the very last step.
- The last thing in the outline is the conclusion passage/s. You need to add a very logical and satisfactory end for your readers.
No matter what format instructions you get from an instructor. Your process essay outline should revolve around these three points.
3. Creating The Process Essay body
Process essays must show why the procedure you are about to explain is important. For instance, if you are writing a process essay on “how to wash your car,” then it should explain the importance of washing your car on a
regular basis in the introduction.
After the introduction, you have to discuss the materials required for the procedure. Like if you are writing about car washing, then you need to mention the equipment required for washing a car in detail. All of the requirements
should be mentioned before the steps are explained.
After this, brief steps should be mentioned, which can explain the process of completing the task. The steps must be very well written and in simple language. The last step must provide the outcome you promised in the
In the end, you have to tell readers about the anticipated end results they would achieve after completing the mentioned procedure. You can also discuss the importance of the task again.
Important Advice to Keep in Mind While Writing Process
Here are a few pieces of advice that you need to follow when writing a how-to essay!
1. Use Simple Language and Vocabulary
Process essays are usually read by people who are looking for simple solutions. You need to make sure that you use simple language to explain the process so that a common reader can understand how to follow it. You have to
use a simple vocabulary in the essay which is understandable even for a basic reader.
2. Write The Process in A Directional Tone
The writing tone and style of direct essays are a bit different from that of narrative essays. In these essays, writers should use a directional tone.
This means you have to direct the reader to follow the steps you have mentioned.
You can give a feel of direction by using phrases like ‘first get this, ‘once that is complete,’ or ‘wait until it dries.’ The directions should be concise and clear.
Avoid making the steps too lengthy and complicated.
3. Always Use Chronological Order for Procedure
The steps or information you provide readers must be in the order in which they have to complete the process. If the process is not explained in a logical order, then it is going to confuse and piss off the reader.
The quality of the process essay depends on the information and solution you provide in the steps. If your procedure is too complicated, then it is going to bounce off the readers from your draft.
The best way to engage a reader is to first highlight the problem, propose the solution you have, and explain it to the best ability.
Any additional information that you feel needs to be delivered to the reader can be added to the conclusion.
Before submitting or posting a process essay, it is best that you get it checked by an expert or a credible essay writing service provider.